Monday, January 12, 2009

Learning From Our Past

Through the generosity of a friend I am a subcriber to World Magazine. If you do not subscribe I highly recommend that you do.

In the latest issue includes an important article on the history of abortion by Marvin Olasky.

Professor Olasky writes:

To save the lives of more unborn Americans we should see how our pro-life predecessors succeeded in the past—and by the past I don't mean only the past three decades but the past two centuries. It's conventional to think of the abortion horror as a product of the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, but research I've done at the Library of Congress shows that abortion on the eve of the Civil War was more frequent, in proportion to the U.S. population, than it is now.


You have not just read a misprint. Roughly 160,000 abortions occurred in 1860 in a population of 30 million. Probably about 1.2 million abortions (13 percent of them through RU-486) occurred last year in a population estimated at around 307 million. The horrific current number is obviously no cause for self-congratulation, but reputable forecasters at the time of Roe v. Wade were predicting a butcher's bill of more than 4 million abortions annually by now.


Read the entire articles HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is good "sermon" I have had you linked via my blogspot for monthd and this is the first one i actully read in detail.I think i skimmed a few others. I hope to meet you some day but am busy working two jobs right now.