Wednesday, December 2, 2009

When the world is not enough OR Tiger and Me


"Has a nation changed its gods,
even though they are no gods?
But my people have changed their glory
for that which does not profit.
Be appalled, O heavens, at this;
be shocked, be utterly desolate,
declares the Lord,
for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me,
the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns that can hold no water."
- Jeremiah 2:11-13

Tiger Woods released a statement today confirming that he is guilty of committing "transgressions" against his family. Of course we know what this means. Now multiple women have lined up to identify themselves as the transgressions.

It occurred to me today just how much Tiger has risked by engaging in sinful behaviour. He is the husband of a beautiful wife and the father of lovely children. He is perhaps the most famous athlete in the world. He is certainly the highest paid athlete in the world. Because of his talent and reputation Tiger is extraordinarily marketable as a product spokesman. The world is his oyster.

But the world, it seems, is not enough. Why would he risk so much? Is a happy home with a wife and children not enough? Is all the money in the world not enough? Is universal popularity not enough? What could he possibly be missing that would motivate him to seek out fleeting pleasure in the arms of other women?

And this is where I am so much like Tiger. I have never sought out pleasure by breaking my marriage vows but my heart is just as deceitful as his. I am just as susceptible to the temptation of wanting more, much more than I already have. By God's grace I do not have similar "transgressions" but this is not because I am morally superior. My heart is still an idol factory. It is still a sometimes confounding labyrinth of competing desires, some good and others ugly. I still find myself searching for water in broken cisterns.

"Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
- Romans 7:24

No comments: