Monday, March 10, 2008

The Terrors of Gethsemane

"And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, 'My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.' And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed saying, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.'"
- Matthew 26:37-39

"And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground."
- Luke 22:43-44

"He grounds his own willingness upon the Father's will, and resolves the matter wholly into that."
- Matthew Henry

"All I can say is that as I ponder [Gethsemane], through that darkened window, there is a mystic light shining, showing me the terrors of the Cross more clearly than I see them even when I come to Calvary."
- G. Campell Morgan

"Gethsemane is not a place for hurried theological tourism: it is where the believer must linger, watch and pray."
- Frederick Leahy from The Cross He Bore

"Gethsemane supplies the medicine for the ills which followed upon the forbidden fruit of Eden."
- Charles Spurgeon

No comments: