Friday, May 29, 2009

Rest


"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out."

- Isaiah 42:3


We all know what it is like to feel like a bruised reed and a smouldering wick. They are both images of weakness. Relationships, work, loss, and pain can all sap our strength and rob us of joy. It is in those times when we need to know the tender touch of God.


I am tired today. Certain burdens are weighing especially heavy. Too often I depend on the approval of others which always results in wounds and disappointment. I am a sinful man and I live among other sinful men. The reality can be overwhelming. But what I need is not more approval or to work harder. What I need is Jesus.


Thanks to Ray Ortland for the following post. I neede this today (and a lot of days for that matter).


"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

The sacred center of Christianity is Christ himself. Coming personally to the Person. Coming directly to the Mediator. No one but Jesus can call us with such authority, and no one but Jesus can encourage us with such a promise. No one else can give us rest.

If our functional purpose in church is to connect with one another and build community, that's what we'll get -- one another. And we'll end up angry. Only Jesus gives us rest. If we will put him first and come to him first, we'll have something to give one another.

If our functional purpose in church is outreach and mercy and justice and all those good missional things, we'll end up exhausted and empty. Only Jesus gives us rest. If we will put him first and come to him first, we'll be renewed for endless mission.

Only One has ever said and can ever say, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." His offer stands. But he comes first.

9 comments:

Bill Legge said...

Sorry to read that you're feeling down.

Whenever I feel this way I try to remember that there is a light at the end of every tunnel.

And then I pray that it's not a train.

Todd Pruitt said...

If I hear a train horn then I will run the other way.

Unknown said...

Hang in there Todd-for what it is worth I enjoy your blog, and also enjoy your on-line sermons. You have one of the hardest jobs in this world and I pray that you will be encouraged.

Todd Pruitt said...

Thanks Jerry. It's just been one of those days.

Pete Morris said...

Jesus the Christ is the performer of perfection we are the partakers and worshippers of He who is before the throne. He is the light, the truth, the way, the life, the glory of God is in His face. He is our great treasure, our hope, our life, our peace and rest. In no one else, in nothing else is such love for me. Oh what a Savior!

Pete Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Belle Geary said...

It is during our "down" times that we truly learn to rely on Jesus Christ for our strength. I suppose we of the church tend to expect our leaders to always be on their game, to always be up and spirit filled. It is good for us to remember the you are human just like us, with everyday struggles and problems. If there is ever anything I can do to help carry the burden of being a church leader, do not hesitate to ask. At least from my perspective, you have been a true blessing to out church.

God Bless,

Bill

Unknown said...

You are a blessing. To COS and to me even though I am not there anymore. I say this not to inflate your ego, because that would not be good, but because it is clear that you are a vessel, a jar of clay that God is filling and using for His great good. For His glory :)

Todd Pruitt said...

Thanks for the kind words. That's the kind of thing that keeps me going.