Monday, July 6, 2009

Comfort for the sorely tempted ones


“Herein is comfort for the sorely tempted ones. There is still more to encourage them if they reflect that the Lord Jesus, though tempted, gloriously triumphed, and as he overcame, so surely shall his followers also, for Jesus is the representative man for his people; the Head has triumphed, and the members share in the victory. Fears are needless, for Christ is with us, armed for our defense. Our place of safety is the bosom of the Saviour. Perhaps we are tempted just now, in order to drive us nearer to him. Blessed be any wind that blows us into the port of our Saviour’s love! Happy wounds, which make us seek the beloved Physician. Ye tempted ones, come to your tempted Saviour, for he can be touched with a feeling of your infirmities, and will succor every tried and tempted one.”


- Charles Spurgeon from Morning and Evening

3 comments:

case.jess said...

I love this quote, Todd. I am currently reading Lectures to My Students...wonderful stuff. Spurg is one a kind.

Todd Pruitt said...

Lectures To My Students is a MUST for anyone in ministry. I wish I had read it during my seminary days.

Kimberly said...

Yes, I like Spurgeon's Morning and Evening as well as Oswald Chambers': My Utmost for His Highest (by the way: the 7/6 reading in My Utmost is very good).

You're right, Todd -- sometimes dead people DO write better :). Why is that? (Perhaps they were less distracted (the world was a bit simpler), and therefore better able to be single-minded in purpose.)