Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Is God an Egomaniac?


Al Mohler has an outstanding post on whether or not God is self-centered and megalomaniacal.


He writes


Is the God of the Bible the supreme egotist? That question arises when human beings contemplate the meaning of the truth that God does everything for the sake of his own glory. Is God then a megalomaniac?

Human beings are trapped in a human frame of reference. When we think of motivation, we inevitably start with our own self-conscious knowledge of our own motivations. For a human to seek his or her own glory is narcissism in purest form. Human egotism is constantly on display. And, if we are honest, we know that we seek our own glory as a reflex.

In reality, this is the essence of sin. Our desire for glory is inherently idolatrous and selfish. Paul describes this perfectly in Romans 1:22-23: "Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things." This exchange that robs God of his glory is the very heart of sin. We want the glory that is God's alone.
Read the entire post HERE.

3 comments:

Belle Geary said...

Awesome post Todd! So much of our perspective and what we do is governed by our extremely narrow view as humans. It is only when we truly keep our eyes on God through Jesus Christ that we can begin to see things from God’s perspective.

case.jess said...

Todd,

I hate to hijack this post, but I don't have your current email address. Can you send it to me? I have some brothers here in Louisville who are church planting with Acts29 in Philadelphia and are interested in learning more about the city and the ministry in Philly from anyone they can. Would you be willing to offer up your contact info? You can respond to me at case.jess@gmail.com or on my blog www.madeinlouisville.blogspot.com

Todd Pruitt said...

Belle,

I love Mohler's stuff.

This post reminds me of something John Piper has said:
"God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him."

Since God's glory is the highest value in the universe then for Him to glorify Himself is for my good. I need God to be glorified. In his glory is my joy.