Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Still Need the Gospel


There is not a day that goes by that I do not need the Gospel of God's grace in Jesus Christ. My daily failures confirm that reality all the more. I fail by doing and saying (and writing) things that I should not. What is more, I fail by NOT doing and saying (and writing) things that I should. At first I usually think that a little more discipline will fix the problem. And then I realize once again that my sins are too numerous and deep to fully address through my own efforts. What is more, it is not long before my heart begins to boast in the very efforts and disciplines I rely upon to mortify my sin. Pretty twisted huh?


As I think on this reality I come right up to the edge of despair until God brings me back to the Lord Jesus on the cross. It is His merit, His work, and His sacrifice that deal the death blow to my sin and guilt. I hear the words, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Rom 8:1) and realize that my sanctification depends as wholly upon God's grace as did my justification.


My sin, o the bliss of this glorious thought

My sin, not in part but the whole

Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord oh my soul!

2 comments:

Noel said...

When you were in Wichita, I heard you talk about the gospel ALL the time. Seriously, you spoke of it with a passion and incessence that was baffling. I have been studying Romans now for several years and I'm in chapter 15 right now, but when I got to chapter 12 & 13 I realized, wow, the true Christian is ALL about the Gospel. Everything; church, friendships,family,love, sacrifice, my life, my heart...its all completely wrapped up in the Gospel. You were right Todd. Thanks for never tiring of teaching the truth. I love the gospel. I just love it. I am nothing without it.

Kimberly said...

Boy this was good. It's amazing how you can still not "get it," sometimes where the gospel's concerned. One can easily focus on that dilemma of "not doing that which I ought, and doing that which I ought not," more often than not..failing to (remember) and take comfort in the good news of the Gospel.